Saturday, September 30, 2006

Welcome to the 1st Step

Co-Dependents Anonymous Step 1:
We admitted we were powerless over others that our lives had become unmanageable.

Co-Dependents Anonymous Promise 1:
I know a new sense of belonging. The feelings of emptiness and loneliness will disappear.

So, welcome to the 1st step! I seem to find myself referring back to both the step and the promise at least once or twice a week, if not daily depending on what is happening in my life.

Here are some exercises to get you into the 1st step:
1. What does the 1st Step mean to you? Try not to edit or over-analyze yourself, just write.
2. Make a list of 10 people you’ve tried to control. Put a brief example or two next to each one.
3. Make a list of people who you let control you. Again, give an example or two next to each.
4. What does unmanagibility look like? In what ways is your life unmanageable today?
5. I am powerless over others. What does this mean to you? How does this relate to you in your life today?
6. List all the ways you try to control in your life.
7. Who do you want or "need" to "figure out"?

Things to ponder while working on the 1st step:
What keeps you in unmanageable relationships? Why do you stay?
How do you allow your boundaries to be crossed in this relationship on a
daily basis?
What about this relationship keeps you out of integrity?
What is integrity to you? What does it mean? Look/feel like?
What about your unmanageable relationships make you feel good?
What is working and what is not?

Try the following:
Say the serenity prayer and dissect it as you are saying or writing it..
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change:
(what are some of the things you cannot change? See if you can write down one big one).
The courage to change the things I can: (write down one or two things you
can change).
And the wisdom to know the difference: (write down what the differences are)

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home