Friday, November 17, 2006

HOPE!

Step II

We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Step Two gives us hope for recovery. The Second Step tells us that the pain and insanity with which we have been livving are unnecessary. The Second Step fills the void we feel when we've finished Step One. As we approach Step Two, we begin to consider that maybe, just maybe, there's a Power greater than ourselves-a Power capable of healing our hurt, calming our confusion, and restoring our sanity.

Some of us resisted this step because we thought it required us to be religious. Nothing could be further from the truth. This is a spiritual, not religious, program.

The beauty of the Second Step is revealed when we begin to think about what our Higher Power can be. We are encouraged to choose a Power that is loving, caring, and-most importantly - able to restore us to sanity. The Second Step does not say, "We came to believe in a Power greater than ourselves." It says, "We came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity." The emphasis is not on who or what this Power is, but on what this Power can do for us.


Hope

The hope we get from working Step Two replaces the desperation with which we came into the program.

  • What do I have hope about today?
  • How has my belief grown since I've been in recovery?
  • What evidence do I have that a Higher Power is working in my life?
  • What are the characteristics my Higher Power does not have?
  • What are the characteristics my Higher Power has?
  • Why is having a closed mind harmful to my recovery?
  • How am I demonstrating open-mindedness in my life today?
  • In what ways has my life changed since I've been in recovery? Do I believe more change is possible?
  • Have I sought help from a Power greater than myself today? How?
  • Have I sought help from my sponsor, gone to meetings, and reached out to other recovering addicts? What were the results?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home