Sunday, January 14, 2007

Dayn Schulman: More Thoughts More Time More Feelings

Some lyrics for Dayn:
"Look out of any window
any morning, any evening, any day
Maybe the sun is shining
birds are winging or
rain is falling from a heavy sky -
What do you want me to do,
to do for you to see you through?
this is all a dream we dreamed
one afternoon long ago" - Box of Rain


The past week and a half has been filled with deep feelings that I have tried to wash over with a numbing haze – keeping busy at work, not “getting into” my grief, not really talking about it, not feeling it. Earlier in the week I felt like I really need a good cry – a bone shaking quelling of tears, that floods my mind, body and all sensations – but alas, I could not open that door tat I had sealed with the numbing haze. A friend at work asked me how I felt last Monday and I said, “bored”. Not true and I knew it – I felt numb.

So.. bored and hazy I went into my therapy session and 50 minutes later I came out grounded, feeling emotional and feeling my feelings again of the great loss we have all felt with Dayn’s passing.

I mentioned in another post that I no longer think I will get a call from Costa Rica, saying he is alive and well, surfing up a storm and bringing joy to those around him. Yeah, that magical thinking is gone.

What happened to me in that therapy session was intense and a trip back into the hell of those days after his death. Eyes closed but mind awake I went back to his place, up the stairs, through the gateway into a house filled with loneliness, bitter cold, desperation and hopelessness. Seeing how my brother had been living up until the final hours and minutes of his sweet and secluded life has made its mark on my heart permentelly. The feelings that I had going into that place were immediate guilt and sorrow – that I had let him down. I had abandoned him – I had not done enough.

I know many people have felt similarily..this is what happens with death and especially suicide. Dayn’s suicide is the 5th suicide in my life. I know these thoughts well – and of course there is nothing that anyone of us could really do. We were powerless – his choice, his timing, his decision and yes, his death. I know we all tried our best, some of us stayed on the phone with him long after we had wanted/needed to get off (God what I would do for another phonecall!)

However, the feelings of just how sad and lonely he was continue to affect me, haunt me and in a way, keep me grounded. This is what happened to me in that therapy session – I could go back to those minutes before entering his place and go back to the minutes and hours of being in his place, talking to him, cleaning up, making things a bit more “livable” maybe is the word. I’m not sure – I just know that no one deserves to live like that. No one needs to get to that place of desperation and hopelessness. Let this be my lesson to reach out more, return phone calls, and spend more time with those I love.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To all:

Check out the Dayn Schulman Poetry Archive at

http://www.montereybaypoetry.com

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are also using the experience to remind us all of the fragile lines some people live within CodaCoach.
These are the kinds of experiences you can use to keep your compassion and honor alive.The grief will take a while..believe me..I understand that one.But this is your personal experience..nuruture it and share when you are so inspired.
Thank you for being you.
Here is my new blog addy if you want to keep in touch.I deleted the old one..long story.lol..but I am back online ~ Take Care
http://cupcakemonkeyblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

9:40 PM  
Blogger agl said...

We all do the best we can with what we have. It wasn't until I sat beside my addict in the hospital after his most recent attempt that I realized I truly do want to live.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a year to date today when Dayn left us. Our lives were forever altered and it is an understatement to say we miss him. Thank you for sharing your thoughts here. It has comforted me today when I have been feeling so upset about it all.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to read of your sadness.
I am so sorry to hear about Dayn.
I did not know of Dayns death earlier.
I often thought of him and always looked forward to seeing him again.
That is why I finally tried to find him and stumbled upon your blog.
I learned that it is too late.

I was a high school friend to Dayn.
His mother and my mom both had cancer and were dying at the same time.
We were two young kids tring to make it all seem normal.
We had a great bond.
We spent many sunsets together on the top of Strands bluff,
Many summers at the beach
Many Thursday nights, ksbr night, at his apartment
With friends playing instruments to music on the radio.
I just listened and enjoyed.
I liked to be around him.
I admired him.
I loved him.
He could head up a group.
He could just relax and take in the moment.
His smile was wide and full of happiness.
He had the most beautiful blue eyes and sun light freckles
His arms were always open for a big hug.
He cruised with such style.
( I don't just mean the VW bus)
He always had friends around...

When he moved to OR I was planning a trip up to visit when my dad passed away.
Our paths changed and life went on...
I married my love Joe and we have four children.
Dayn was always on my list of baby names but I don't have a Dayn.
( perhaps Joe was a little jealous)
I was looking Dayn up to visit with him..
I did not care if he was a monk, a priest, married, single or whatever, I just needed to connect again. In a way I think we did.
I found this blog 11/12/08. He died 11/21/06 .

I am sorry you don't know of all his friends here back in the Dana Point area who grew up with him and love him.
How could Dayn forget all of us in his sorrowful time?
I do not know.
I know dozens who felt Dayn was so dear.
He left such a big impression on all of us.
We knew him as a guy so full of promise, so full of life.
I am sure they will be deeply sadden by his loss.
He was a generous man with a loving spirit.
He had a warm heart, he was my comfort.
I am not left empty learning about his death because I am so glad to have known him.
He is unforgettable,
I wish I could have told him how much he meant to me.
But someway I feel still connected and will always be so grateful for the times spent together.

"What a long strange trip it's been"

Vianne

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home